Renewable energy is seen as a way to reduce carbon emissions and fossil fuel dependence.
Some of us however are concerned with a much bigger picture.
Just because the lights are turned off in our cities, it doesn’t mean they’re turned off in the universe.
The Milky Way has been drowned out by city lights.
1. WindyNation 400 Watt Solar Kit: 4pcs 100W Solar Panels + P30L LCD PWM Charge Controller + Mounting Hardware + Cable + PV Connectors + AGM Battery
- Performs well
(+Advanced 10A MPPT Controller)
The WindyNation 400W Solar Kit includes batteries and is ideal for powering your house lights, small appliances, pumps, small water heaters, laptops, fans, and other small electronics. This kit has been battle tested enough to know that it will work. The best part about this kit is that it does not have any moving parts, reducing the chances of breakage and providing a completely maintenance-free solar solution.
The mounting hardware included in the kit allows you to install the solar panels that are sold separately and the charge controller. The kit also includes the necessary cabling and hardware to connect the charge controller to the solar panels. The cables included in the kit are long enough to accommodate just about any installation.
2. WindyNation 400 Watt
With the high tech solar panels, you can now make your own solar power generators to help you get off your electrical grid. The Windynation 400 Watt solar panel kit includes 4 100-watt solar panels and power optimizer charge controller. This is enough to power an RV, garage, cabin or small office. These produce 576 watts at peak power. This complete off-grid solar kit has everything you need to get your own power system set up. It will eliminate your electric bill which will save a lot of money.
You can transfer power to your home, car batteries or to banks of batteries. Other than this, even if you want to use it in other generator, you can do that. It can transform directly to 12V and 24V. The multistage smart LED system checks for wire and battery problems, as well as corrects for high/low voltage, short circuit conditions for improved performance. The aluminum casing makes it strong and sturdy. It is great for RVs, cabins and homes.
3. Renogy 400 Watt 12 Volt Off Grid Solar Premium Kit
- Excellent appearance
- Has a free warranty
- Includes everything you need in one kit
- Very long battery life
- Can be used in any environment
- Has a very good design
- Has the ability to be mounted anywhere
- Works from the first day you get it
- Top of the line product
- It is a bit more expensive than the competition
- It has a steep learning curve
- Its wires are short
The Renogy off grid solar panels are a great choice for those who want to go off the grid. They are a great value and they have features like socket power meter that can really help the customer. The Renogy 400 Watt 12 Volt Off Grid Solar Premium Kit with Monocrystalline Solar Panel and 40A MPPT Rover Controller/Mounting Z Brackets/MC4 Adaptor Kit/Tray Cables Fuse set /MC4 fuse holder is made of high-quality solar panels that are truly spectacular. With Renogy, you get a product that you know will work for a long time and you can count on them to deliver good quality work that lasts.
4. Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Off Grid Portable Foldable 2Pcs 50W Solar Panel Suitcase Built-in Kickstand
- High efficiency and low cost for 12v off-grid portable foldable monocrystalline solar panels
- 50W 2pcs solar panel can directly charge most 12 volt battery system, such as Caravan, RV, boat, trailer, single phase grid-tie inverter system
- The built-in kickstand that can be folded up when you need to put it in your car, you can also put it under a shelf or table for storage and to have a charging station
- The low-pitched angle allows the solar panel to absorb more sunlight, working in a wide range of positions
- High tolerance to wind and shade which makes it perfect for use on vehicles, boats and in remote locations.
- Supremely durable solar panel, which will ensure years of worry free operation
- Can handle strong winds of 20mph and snow loads of up to 3 inches
- Waterproof, high-quality connectors and an aluminum frame to protect the solar panels from damage
- Two Easy to unscrew stainless steel fasteners to protect the PV cells, safe for wiring and inversion
- Strong and protected anti-shock silicone connectors
5. ECO WORTHY 200 Watts Monocrystalline Solar RV Kit
- It requires no installation, as it comes with everything needed, including a trip inverter
- It comes with a 3-year warranty and excellent customer service
- You can charge 12V batteries with it
- The only way to get more power would be to upgrade the system, but that is not necessary with this non-expensive system
- Because of its capability to charge larger batteries, it is not as lightweight as similar solar panels
This kit is offered at an excellent price. It is high-quality, so you can be sure that you’re getting your money’s worth. The product comes with all the bits needed to install it on your vehicle, including hooks, cables, and screws. It even has a weatherproof connection box for better protection.
The kit is suitable for 12V batteries only, so if you have 24V batteries, you need to buy an extra controller. The kit also comes with a charge controller that allows you to charge 1 to 4 batteries at the same time.
This kit does not charge directly from the sun, but it has a capacity of 200W. This means that it can charge a large amount of batteries at the same time. This is the kit to buy if you want to run a lot of appliances or if you’re expecting to be away for longer periods of time.
6. ECO-WORTHY 200 Watt
- Easy Installation
- Affordable price
- Can be used with many different applications
- Can be used with different types of Solar Panels
The ECO-WORTHY 200 Watt (2pcs 100W) Complete Solar Panel Kit with 1000W Off Grid Power Inverter for Home, RV, Camper,Boat,Camping,Caravan has been getting extraordinary reviews on Amazon and is our top pick for the best off grid solar systems in 2020.
With a high solar module efficiency, an industry-leading 25-year warranty, and a durable construction, this solar panel kit is an excellent choice for people that need a simple, affordable and reliable system.
7. ECO-WORTHY 1000 Watt 1KW 24 Volt Solar Panel Off Grid RV Boat Kit
- Large 24 volt solar panels are more efficient than their 12 volt counterparts
- Excellent charger for camper and RVs
- A great kit for boaters, RVers, campers, and a whole lot more
- For off-grid use only
- Requires a charge controller
- Solar charger is not waterproof
I chose this one because it’s a tested kit for RV’s, boats, trailers, tents, cabins, and more. It comes with everything you need to get the job done, and it’s affordable, too.
This kit comes with a 24 volt continuous output, 1000 watt solar panel, wiring and hardware, a trash bag to cover the solar panel during the day…and a carrying bag for the system that you can sling over your shoulder. The manufacturer’s guarantee is excellent here, too.
8. ECO LLC 900W 24V Complete Off Grid Solar System Kit Include 6X 150W Solar Panel and 1500W Inverter AC 110V and 6 String Combiner Box and 60A Solar Charge Controller(Battery not Include)
- FULLY AUTOMATIC INVERTER
- Off-Grid or Grid Tie with Pre-Installed Solar Charge Controller
- 24 Volt solar panels are most popular due to their greater flexibility as you can use them for both a 24 and 48 volt system. Plug and play connectors to solar panels.
The ECO LLC 900W 24V Complete Off Grid Solar System Kit includes six -150W 24V Monocrystalline Solar Panels, an off-grid/grid-tie inverter system that works with 12V-48V, a battery charger with(2) USB ports, a 5-string combiner box and a 60A solar charge controller designed for a 24V solar system.
The 6X 150W Monocrystalline Solar Panel Kit is strong enough to power an entire house.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best off grid power source?
Off Grid solar is the best way to go if you don't want to be reliant on the utility company, and don't want to pay monthly rates for electric.
With off-grid solar you can be completely independent of the utility company and you'll be the only person who controls your electricity need.
What are the most efficient solar panels available?
Don't let the name fool you. Lead Acid batteries still have an important place in the solar world.
Lead-acid batteries are still used in some off-grid applications where weight or space is at a premium, such as car batteries, for example. Their main drawback is that they are short-lived. They can be used for about 500 to 1000 cycles. That's about 5 to 10 years if they are fully charged once a day.
Nickel-based batteries are more expensive than Lead acid batteries of the same capacity. However, they should last longer. These batteries were once used in the cell phone industry but are now being used in solar applications. They provide a longer life and a higher performance at a higher cost.
Lithium batteries are the newest of the battery types. They are very expensive and are typically only used for very small systems or as replacement batteries. They provide the highest performance of any battery but they are also the most expensive.
How many solar panels do I need to be off the grid?
Let's start with this: there's no mathematical formula for determining how many solar panels you'll need for your off-grid system, and it's not as simple as matching the Watts of your solar panels against the Watts of your daily energy needs.
First, keep in mind that the panels will lose a bit of power when they are generating. The usable energy from the sun reaching the earth is less that what the panels can generate. How much less would depend on where you live: in sunny parts of Florida, for instance, your panels might generate 20% less energy than the amount they would generate on the equator.
Also, consider that your panels won't be generating energy 24/7; the sun isn't up at night, so the panels won't generate at night. Also, cloudy days can also lower the overall productivity of the panels.
How can I make my solar system off the grid?
If you are purchasing a new solar power system, one of the features you will likely have is a battery backup. Some will buy a battery backup system without giving it much thought and others will buy it with a clear goal in mind: a simple desire to make their solar system off the grid.
Like any DIY project, there is more to making your system off the grid than simply purchasing a battery backup. The good news, however, is that the process is a lot easier than you might think.
The first step is determining if your solar system is ready to go off the grid, or if it is time to upgrade your system to a grid-tied one.
Make sure your solar system has a battery backup.
Once you have confirmed that you have a sufficient amount of energy generation capacity, the next step is acquire the appropriate battery storage.
This page was created to shed some light on the various choices for off grid solar systems that you have in the market today. We aim to help you choose the right system for you based on your individual needs and how you’ll use it. Use this page as a guide, and choose wisely based on your unique situation.